Woohoo, iOS 4 is here and Glympse is ready! Glympse can now share your location in the background while you run other apps. Glympse can now send SMS messages worldwide from any iPhone.
"It's called Glympse, and it's my new favorite freebie [...] This is one of those apps that's ingenious in its simplicity, insanely handy to have around, and just a little bit fun to boot.
- CNET Reviews
"Glympse: The Coolest Thing Your Smartphone Can Do" - Since smartphones first made Google maps mobile, no single application has offered so much practical functionality.
- Fast Company
Glympse is the simple and private way to share your location.
Want to let someone know where you are? Just send a Glympse!
Install and be sharing your location in real-time with others in seconds! No sign-up, no passwords, no new social network to manage.
Glympse sends a link with your ongoing location to anyone via Email, SMS, Facebook, or Twitter. Best of all, the recipient doesn't need any special software to be able to see your location. They get a link that shows your real-time position, and optionally your speed, a message, a destination, and your ETA. And, Glympse makes it hassle free by only sharing your location for the time period you choose, and then it automatically stops.
A few notes and tips:
* On iOS 4 devices that support background apps (iPhone 3Gs and 4, iPod touch 3rd gen), Glympse will now share your location while running in the background. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. When sending a Glympse, you get to set how long you would like to share your location. Once sharing has begun, you can add add time to your Glympse to extend its duration or "expire" the Glympse to stop sharing.
* On iOS 4 devices that support sending SMS (all iPhones), you can now send a Glympse to any SMS number you wish. For all other devices and OS versions, we still support sending SMS to domestic US numbers.
* If you receive a Glympse on your iPhone, you can click on the Glympse link in the message to see the person's current location in a web page. The web page provides an option to launch the Glympse application and automatically show the person's location, updated in real-time on a map. Pick your viewing preference!
* Glympse supports iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Please note that an iPhone or iPad 3G are best suited for sending Glympses as they have a GPS for pinpoint location and can share your location while you are on the move. Nonetheless, an iPod touch and base iPad are still excellent for viewing Glympses and for sending shorter duration "check-in" Glympses.
* Send a Glympse to the same person often? Just add it to favorites. Then you're just two clicks away from sending it the next time.
* Have a Facebook and/or Twitter account? Sign in to your accounts under 'Settings'. Then, just add 'facebook' and/or 'twitter' when you send a Glympse to share your live location with your friends.
We're actively working on updates and features, so please send us feedback from within the application, or by sending mail to email@example.com
We hope you enjoy using Glympse!
- The Glympse Team